Provide strategic thought leadership to WWF South Africa’s Freshwater Programme.
- Establish credible recognition for WWF South Africa as a thought leader across the broad range of issues in the water sector.
- Lead and manage the freshwater thematic team to plan, integrate and collaborate with other thematic experts across the Environmental Programme portfolios.
Maintain key networks and participate in partnership processes.
- Understand and engage in the complexity of sectors involved in freshwater conservation in South Africa, including government, private sector, other conservation bodies and civil society structures.
- Maintain a strong collaborative and supportive approach with key partners and stakeholders, including national, provincial and international governments to ensure delivery on existing high impact projects to address freshwater conservation challenges.
Manage the proper functioning of the Freshwater Programme in line with set organisational policies, procedures and delegated authority.
- Drive the management and implementation of key existing Freshwater work.
- Oversee an effective project cycle management process and manage reporting and alignment processes for the Freshwater Programme.
Assist with staff development, mentorship and transformation of the staff and, where relevant, partners linked to the Freshwater Programme.
- Oversee performance appraisal process for all Freshwater Programme staff and identify opportunities to incentivise performance.
- Identify new and upcoming talent to accelerate transformation in the organization and support the development of an organisational talent management approach.
Build sustainable funding streams to continue implementation of the Freshwater Programme of work towards WWF Strategy 2025.
- Identify funding opportunities for projects aligned to the WWF 2025 Strategy.
- Develop proposals with support from the Business Development Unit and others in the WWF network.
Work with the Strategic Communications team to develop internal and external communication material regarding the Freshwater Programme to meet Programme goals and broaden and engage constituencies.
- Develop technical content and media releases around key topical items and Programme outputs, in collaboration with PCG.
- Support WWF’s public facing campaigns such as the Journey of Water with relevant technical facts.